Monday, October 29, 2012

He Made a Wretch His Treasure



           
It doesn’t make sense, does it? The perfect, all powerful God of heaven disrupted the ideal nature and the calm of His heavenly home to create…people. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (Joh 3:16). But, why? Why did He make us? Why does He love us? I have wondered how much I could possibly ever love a person who had helped cause the death of my child, yet God does just that. “But God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Rom 5:8) Even though He knew we would fail Him. He knew we would struggle to live like we love Him. But He created us, and He sacrificed His ONLY Son for us.

            Love is the only answer that makes any sense…and even that idea stretches greatly my capacity for love. You see, we are made in the “image” of God. (Gen 1:26) He made us like Him in various ways. To fathom God’s desire to make me, I think back to my own desire to become a father. I certainly knew my children would, at some point, let me down. Even in their innocence, they don’t always make my life easier. But I chose fatherhood so that I could LOVE my children.

            This is the explanation that God gives for making and loving us unconditionally. “Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, ..” (Heb 12:2) We are His joy. Providing us with a chance to be saved is what caused our Father in Heaven to create us, and it is precisely what held Him to the cross. It was His choice to “make a wretch His treasure.”

            It is sometimes a good thing to look into the depths of our souls and truly realize how empty, lost, and worthless we would be if God hadn’t chosen to love us. It’s not a self-confidence thing, it’s just the truth. Jesus said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Mat 5:3) Now, how will you live for the God who loves you like this?

----Darrell Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment