Thursday, October 5, 2017

Walk Worthy of the Lord, Fully Pleasing to Him (Colossians 1:10)

Some of the Bible’s most intimidating phrases are: "worthy of God" and "worthy of the Lord" and "worthy of the gospel" and "worthy of the calling." Why do those phrases scare us?  In my opinion: it’s the unspoken pronoun “you” that causes our concern.  The bottom line is we don’t feel worthy.  By our actions we AREN’T worthy.  Yet, worthiness is an expectation God seems to have of us.


Deep down we realize that we are anything but worthy.  We might even feel hopeless, IF we don’t understand where our worthiness comes from.  Here’s how we often think: For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. …Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin. (Romans 7:18-25)


See, our struggles are no surprise to God. He made us and loves us and desires to draw us to Himself.  My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. (1 John 2:1-2)  This word, “propitiation,” carries the basic idea of appeasement, or satisfaction, specifically towards God. It’s the principle that Christ, by enduring the cross, satisfied God’s demands of justice for our sins.  


THIS is the only way our “walk” could EVER be considered “worthy.”  But you ARE worthy if you’ve appealed to God through the blood of Jesus and you are walking…you’re actively moving toward God…following Him.



-Darrell

No comments:

Post a Comment