Thursday, June 5, 2014

Never Alone

We're never alone.  It's easy enough for us to say, and I know a great number of us realize it in a deep, reassuring way.  But to pretend that it's always fully evident and obvious that God is with us when we live in a fallen and, at times, treacherous world, can be a stretch, depending on whom you ask.  The honest among us recognize that feeling God's presence can be more challenging to souls that have seen a greater portion of the darkness of this age.  Yet, experiencing that darkness is sometimes just the thing that unleashes the overwhelming light of our Creator.
A song I love begins, "I waited for you today, but you didn't show.  I needed you today, so where did you go?  You told me to call, said you'd be there.  And though I haven't seen you, are you still there?" It isn't shameful that some cry out like this.  King David opened his heart to God and cried, "How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? (Psalms 13:1) David who had seen the mighty works of God in a way that we may never experience had moments when he felt God resided some distance from him.  That being said, David concluded, " But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me. (Psalms 13:5-6)
What's the point? God's presence and nearness is evident to those who take the time to really look.  But there is nothing debased and inherently evil about people who are struggling to see him.  The song began above continues: "I cried out with no reply and I can't feel you by my side, so I'll hold tight to what I know: You're here, and I'm never alone.  And though I can't see you, and I can't explain why I've such a deep deep reassurance you've placed in my life.  We cannot separate, cause you're part of me, and though you're invisible I trust the unseen."
There's comfort in knowing "He made from one man every nation of mankind ...that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us," (Acts 17:26-27)  We're never alone.
----Darrell Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment